Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sakiko Yamaoka

...the Space Between... - artist profile.

The photo.
the title is "Listen! Directly",
the audience, 12 people were listening neighbor's heart beat.
Before they were on the stage, They translated the neighbor's heart
beat they listened to 12 metronome.
On the moment to take the picture, on the stage 12 different beat
sounds were echoing.
2003 , in Germany

Sakiko Yamaoka
(Edited by backPage - 26th Feb. Sakiko's impressive CV of international events and exhibitions was removed to make way for her text which we wanted to post in full.)

About projects and works.
Please see the websites (sorry mostly in Japanese text)

Space between text:


No name

I am very stupid. I always forget things. I just stand.
I just listen.

I love to look at the sky very much.
I love to listen to the various sounds from around the world.
Most of them don't have any name.
The sky above Japan is the same as the sky above Australia.
No name.
When some apples fall down, they make a sound on the ground.
Each occasion has a different sound. But it has no name.
It is just sound when apples fall.
Too many different sounds, nobody can name them.
Above all those sounds are not necessary in human society.

Do you know my smell? Ignore my name.

I just move to listen to the sounds from the world.
It is not be easy. Like torture.
Because the sound comes from the world. but really from me.
Only when I act, the world makes sound. Like echo.
It means I neverÅcÅc?
But sound is very wonderful. Hope to let me say it is lovely.

Please come to smell me. Ignore the sound.

Once I went out of my door,
I was very surprised by a sound I had never listened.
"!"
I found a dead cicada on the ground near my foot.
I have never imagined a cicada has weight to make sound.
I have known cicadas.
I had seen them; I had read information about them from books,
I had listened to the sound they make on the tree.
But I found I saw it is the first time to see that dead cicada.
I picked up the cicada, and I realized he was very light.
And I smelled him carefully to know him.

No comments: